Monday 25 January 2010

Empire State of Mind

The New York schools are playing tricks on me, I swear...

Last week I got some great news - Stern want to interview me! This means my application can't have been too far off the mark! Unfortunately, Stern only interviews on campus, so cue a frantic search for cheap transatlantic flights and a short notice vacation request at work. The upside - I get to spend a weekend in New York (I'm hoping the big lights will inspire me) and poke around Stern, as well as another school on my list - Columbia.

Here's where it gets weird. I've been trying to finish off my Columbia application for a while now, but have been slightly put off by the school's attitude to international students. Firstly, international students are not allowed to apply until after January 6th - effectively a 'round 3' application. Secondly, they do not provide loan facilities for international students, saying
Most international students rely on family funds, personal savings, government or company sponsorships and/or loans secured in their home countries
Seriously? No loans? Poor show, Columbia. Despite this, its a great course, in a great place, with a great reputation. So I'm just on the verge of biting the bullet and finishing off my app (bugging recommenders, etc.) when an email lands in my inbox.

It's from Columbia.
Are you interested in an MBA from Columbia Business School, and want to learn more about the various options available?...While we recognize that the distance may be too great for some of you to travel for this information session, we wanted to extend the invitation to all in case you happen to be in the area during this time.
In case I happen to be in the area? I live in the UK, so the chances of me being "in the area" of New York, on a different continent, are pretty slim. But here's the thing - I AM in the area! The session is on the same day as my Stern interview.

This is so weird, and coincidental, that I'm compelled to ask - are Stern and Columbia sharing info about applicants? All I know for sure is - they're messing with my mind!

Anyways, I'm off to do some Stern prep. Will report back on how it goes. Wish me luck...

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty serendipitous. Being a international (India) applicant myself, I have longed so much to be able to visit b schools. But its not easy to travel all the way from India to attend events/interviews.

    All the best to your apps..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain - NY is just about manageable (cost & timing-wise) to get to from the UK for a weekend, but I wont be able to make the trip to west coast schools, which sucks!

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete